Course Details

Entrepreneurship and Market Creation in Emerging Markets
ENTR-906-5
0.5 CR
Elective
PASS / NO CREDIT
Yes (may vary by section)
DESCRIPTION
Only 7% of people in the world live on more than $50 a day. This course is about learning the necessary entrepreneurial skills that will enable you create new markets that serve the remaining 93%, most of whom live in emerging economies. More specifically, this course has five goals. 1. To provide you with a lens that will help you see and assess the opportunities that exist in emerging economies. 2. To equip you with the relevant tools and frameworks to help you tackle the challenges unique to building a successful venture in emerging economies. 3. To walk you through the process, from start to finish, of developing an idea that can serve customers in emerging markets. 4. To introduce you to seasoned entrepreneurs, investors, and stakeholders in emerging market startup ecosystems who will provide feedback on your idea at the end of the class. 5. To practicalize your learning by having you work on a real market-creating project with real companies across emerging markets. This will help you develop your own entrepreneurial idea for emerging markets. In emerging markets, cost is often seen as the primary barrier preventing customers from purchasing (or consuming) a product. This course will introduce other barriers especially in the context of emerging markets and will also provide a framework for how students can design business models that take into consideration these additional barriers. From the first session to the last, the focus of this course will be on applying the skills, lessons, and frameworks you learn to develop market-creating ideas so that, at the end of the course, you have the confidence to present a viable business proposal to prospective investors.
SCHEDULE SUMMARY
Fall 2022
CH
EV

CH (Chicago)
EV (Evanston)
DayTime
Evening
Saturdays
Popup
PREREQUISITES
None